Sunday, February 19, 2012

Back in the Pool

It’s 62 degrees out here with a breeze.  Balmy compared to the 39 degree wake-up temp this morning.  I stand at the edge of the pool, staring across the 25-yard blue length of the lane.  I feel cold and uncomfortable, but I pull on the silicone cap and goggles and enter the water.  The next triathlon is only 5 weeks away and I need to practice the swim segment.
Just figuring out where I can swim was an exercise.  You would think that in Tucson, Arizona one would have a wide choice of winter swimming.  Not really.  Let me tell you, it comes at a cost, especially if you need to practice in a pool that will provide a 25-yard lap that matches the one in the race.  I chose to join a local YMCA.  The outdoor not-so-heated pool is beautiful.  It was recently refinished and is sparkling clean.  It is a (bracingly) refreshing change-up in my winter training regimen.
After 3 laps I am warmed up.  I do not notice the cool air.  My focus is on the stroke and kick.  I measure my time for every 100 yards.  It feels good to move through the water again, to put into practice what I only did through imagery these past few months.  In the end my total time is not too shabby – for me.  850 yards in about 30 minutes.  I matched my practice time before the last tri.  Maybe I can improve that performance by the day the race rolls around.  I am just grateful that I can do this at all. 
Ha!  Whoever would have thought that I would be swimming in this kind of weather? Not long ago I would have said, “It’s a nice day for walk in the woods. Then, let’s bake some cookies…”  Where is that woman?  Go look in the pool…




No comments: