Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Choose to Live

I am meeting my friend, Amy, for breakfast.  You should know that it was this gal who suggested that I start this blog!  We have lots to talk about today – both personal and business.  I first came to know Amy as a volunteer for the Tucson chapter of the American Heart Association.  She is the Director of the Heart Walk here in Southern Arizona.  It is not just the one day 3-mile walk and fundraiser that comprises the Heart Walk.  It is a yearlong campaign of educational programs and community support.
There she is! Amy is prompt as usual.  Me…Well, let’s say that she is always the first to arrive.  I approach the table and spy a pretty white bag covered with red foil hearts and tied with red satin ribbons.  Could that be for me?  
“Here. This is a little something to mark your accomplishment in the triathlon.”  Amy hands me the bag with a warm smile.  Inside I find a bright red cap that will be a favorite for my hikes and runs in the canyon.  There is also a card.  I open the envelope.  The cover of the card is a white background with a spray of a multitude of hearts interspersed with red dresses.  Along the edge of the design are the words:  “I choose to live.”  This card is perfect!
The red dress is the logo for the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement.  It’s mission is to fight heart disease in women.
Inside the card, Amy’s message reads: “…You are not only a survivor but a perfect example of someone who 'chooses to live’…”  Thanks Amy!!
Yes, I choose to live!  Won’t you join me and do the same? 
Find out more at GoRedForWomen.org



No comments: